Sunday, December 18, 2016

Manageable Bites

I tend to bite off way more than I can chew.



Take this blog, for instance.

I am really interested in learning how to express my thoughts and interests in writing.  To learn to write, I need to practice and write on a daily basis.  This seems simple and intuitive.  Write every day.  Write about what I'm feeling and thinking; what I'm eating and drinking; what I'm photographing.  Write about the exciting, write about the mundane.  Get the words out of my head and onto the paper.


A while back, this desire peaked the interest of my inner perfectionist.  This component of my personality tends to get very excited and dreams big, and for all intents and purposes, has a mind of her own often dragging the rest of me kicking and screaming on her path to do something big.  "We'll start a blog!" she said.  Immediately she began to think of all the beautiful blogs she like to read, and decided that she was going to design one.  It couldn't be one of those free, simple looking ones; of course it needs to be a fancy, professional looking blog.

Not a single word was written, but a huge bite was taken; the quest for the perfect blog template began.

After some intense time was spent on the search for perfection my inner perfectionist started to become frustrated.  She knew nothing about blog design, and didn't really have the time to put into learning.  She had me convinced that I couldn't possibly pursue my desire to write without having the perfect looking blog to publish the posts.  The idea was scrapped, not just the blog, but the writing, too.

The big bite was too big, and so I spit it out, just like I always do.

The urge to write has returned, and I've made it clear to my inner perfectionist that she needs to stay out of this.  I will take small manageable bites.  I will write regularly and establish a habit of writing and editing.  If I am tenacious enough to commit to this journey, I will learn more about blog templates and hosts, and migrate to something fabulous down the road.

For now, it will be enough to write.











No comments:

Post a Comment