Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Monday...Funday?

Most of us nine-to-fivers agree that Monday's are a drag, second only to the anticipation of Monday on Sunday nights.  The countdown to Friday begins, and we spend the entire week asking strangers in the elevators and lesser known co-workers, after a long sigh, "Is it Friday yet?" 

 Recently, I became a bit disappointed in myself for thinking this way.  Time is a disappearing asset, we will not ever have the ability to make more of it.  With every breath that curses Monday and wishes for Friday, I inadvertently wish my time away.  How can I appreciate everyday, even though 40+ hours of the week are not my own?  

One thing is certain:  King Friday will always reign supreme.  Even Mr. Fred Rogers, in his infinite wisdom, knew this when he named his ironically uptight puppet.  Friday nights are full of wonder and excitement.  The whole weekend is ahead.  Perhaps there is an adventure already planned, or maybe there will be rest, or the completion of a project.  My favorite is when a weekend of rest is planned, and spontaneous fun occurs.  

The chimes of the Big Ben in my brain start to chime louder and more ominously as Sunday matures, and by Sunday night they are a full blown alarm, signaling that my own time is up.

Is there a way to celebrate Monday as a new beginning?  Yes, I will transform the dreaded Monday into something more...Monday Funday. 

On Sunday, I will set the mood by making sure that I'm prepared for the new week ahead.  

If my eyes open on Monday morning, I will recognize the ultimate blessing that is another day.  

When I start to resist the transfer of ownership of my time to my employer, I will be thankful for my employment.  It is good to have a job. King Friday's lifestyle would be severely compromised without funding.  

Upon arrival at work, my elevator encounters will be more uplifting.  I will smile at my colleagues, and entice my clients to continue to do business with me.  I will look forward to my latte in the afternoon, and savor it, again, thankful for my paycheck.   

My workday complete, I will head into the rush hour knowing that a feast awaits.  My favorite music turned to a desirable volume, a delicious and fun meal will be prepared, and an adult beverage of some type will be enjoyed.  

I will celebrate that I made it through Monday, and look forward to what the rest of the week will bring, if I'm blessed with more time.  

And hopefully, it will start all over again.  











No comments:

Post a Comment